It started a few years ago when I gained 66 pounds in 13 months. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't lose because I knew I wasn't eating junk food, or massive amounts of food. My doctor kept telling me to diet and exercise. She even sent me to a nutritionist and she couldn't figure out why I couldn't lose weight, either, because I wasn't eating "bad" foods.
I was drinking 2% milk instead of whole, I wasn't eating fried foods because I liked baked foods better, if I did fry something I used extra virgin olive oil and not butter, I don't eat candy or cookies because I don't like them, etc. Nothing stood out.
I took one day and wrote down everything I ate including the time. Most of the time I was in the range of suggested caloric intake, but I noticed that sometimes I would forget to eat. After doing some research and learning that the body thinks it is in starvation mode, it will store everything you eat as fat, if you don't eat enough.
Eating To Lose Weight
- I ate several meals a day approximately 2 to 3 hours apart
- I used my fist as a portion size. If my fist covered the food, I was good to go. Vegetables got a two fist portion.
- I limited my two vices; pasta and ice cream. I did NOT completely cut them out, though.
- I ate slower. I actually put my fork down in between bites.
- I ate more fish instead of red meat. And I only like one fish and that is Tilapia from my store. So, I didn't eat much.
- I didn't eat a lot after 6pm.
Exercise To Lose Weight
- I sat on an Exercise Ball I borrowed from my daughter while at the computer instead of a chair. Not all the time, just a few times a week.
- While at the computer in a chair, I would do leg lifts while reading blogs or waiting for a download.
- When I did laundry downstairs, I would stop at the bottom and do some stair stepping.
- Walking from one room to another, I would do exaggerated steps, lifting my knee high in the air with each step.
- Walking from one room to another, I would do a couple of lunges on the way.
- I would do one or two sit ups before sitting up to get out of bed in the morning.
- I would do a few leg lifts during commercial breaks. Not a lot, just 2 or 3.
- I wore a pedometer to actually see how much I was walking and try to beat my total the next day. That rarely happened, but it was fun.
Plus, the only thing I purchased was a Pedometer so I didn't shell out hundreds of dollars on diet products or gyms. This Pedometer received 5 Star Reviewsfrom over 1,000 people.
Good luck in your efforts!!!