Mar 6, 2008

That's right, quit smoking or die trying. If you have been on the fence for a long time like I was, you could die before you actually quit smoking. If you keep smoking, you might end up with COPD like I did.

What is COPD? Well, it stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It is a lung disease. It is actually the name for two lung diseases, chronic bronchitis and emphysema. You can read the fact sheet
here. If you think you don't have it? Wake up one more day and you might.

I'm not telling you to quit smoking, trust me, that's the last thing I would say to a smoker. It's your life, do what you want. You might live to be 200 years old and smoke up until d-day. Then again, you might be 46 years old, like me, and end up with a lung disease.

I quit smoking once before for 7 long years. Foolishly, I started back up 6 years ago. Then, a few months ago, I was diagnosed with this COPD stuff, and had to quit. Trust me, wanting to quit and having to quit are 2 different things. But, I quit on January 1, 2008 and so far, so good.

Quit Smoking


When YOU decide to quit, make sure you are prepared ahead of time. When those smoking urges come on, they come on quick, and you need to replace smoking with something else just as quick.

Walk around, do chores, clap your hands, have a ton of vegetables on hand, take up a hobby (as long as it keeps your hands busy), go for a walk or a run, play with the kids or the pets, or anything you can think of that will help pass the urge time.

If you are worried about gaining weight, use exercise like walking, jogging, or stairs to help pass the urge time. If you are worried about irritibility, make going for a walk to get away from everyone to help with the urges.

My friend told me about a book called The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. I probably would have checked into it more, but I was already a month into my non-smoking life, so I thought I didn't need it. I do think it would be a good book to have on hand though for some of those darn urges. It got over 330 5 Star Reviews.

Well, if you have decided to quit, good luck. If you haven't, good luck as well. Sometimes there really is such a thing as quit smoking or die trying.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Donate



Care to help a new, tired Grandma out with a cup of coffee?